Thursday, February 23, 2012

The story of engagement continues: Spring 2012 Blog #1

Service learning Blog Spring 2012

Blog #1

The Service Learning Story Continues:

     This story has been a journey of a longitudinal service commitment that has been sustained over the past two years while in the DNP program.  I have seen and felt the commitment evolve through this sustained journey.  I am working with a long term care facility (Holbrook on the Hill).  I am working with the director of nursing (DON) with simulation experiences in the educational setting.  These experiences have helped the director to learn the process and become familiar with the equipment, scenarios and the evaluation tools.  The DON appears more at ease with each simulation experience.  The long term plan is to have the long term care facility use the simulation lab as a service commitment from the School of Nursing to train employees and test competencies of the workers.  This commitment will ultimately improve patient care for residents within this facility.

     I believe that by having a longitudinal commitment to this agency and this project, a relationship has been built and trust has been tested and has grown, which makes the commitment to both parties more meaningful.

     The short comings of this service project, particularly to ensure that the commitment continues past the project, have been around territory squabbles within the School of Nursing.  Some members of the Department have felt threatened by me being involved with this process.  I have tried to include everyone throughout the process but still feathers have gotten ruffled along the way.  I have diligently worked to smooth tempers and attitudes so that the project will continue to be successful.   Sometimes it is a difficult dance.  But I feel I have been successful.  In the beginning of the process for both parties scheduling was difficult.   As time, trust and commitment increased the scheduling problems have disappeared.

The strengths of this service learning project have been trust building and commitment.  Because trust was eventually established commitment grew deeper.  Another strength has been that through the collaboration of many people between two agencies, other agencies may become involved in this rural underserved community.  These agencies will have greater access, a potential for enhancing education and, in turn, better patient care.  And I believe it can’t get any better than that.

Just some thoughts by

Janet W




3 comments:

Felicia P. said...

Hi Jan!

Your service learning commitment to long-term care education is admirable and sorely needed in many rural areas. The use of simulation to reinforce the training is a great idea and helps to solidy the information presented to the nursing population caring for this vulnerable population. I have learned a great deal through my service learning experiences and have been blessed with many friends in the process. Your commitment to increase the exposure to different learning opportunities for your nursing students is a mark of a true educator, and I share your ideas regarding this as I too have included nursing students at my service learning site as well.

Take care and God Bless!

Felicia

JanetW said...

Thank you Felicia for your kind and supporting words. I wish you best wishes and hope to see you soon at graduation.
Janet W

Julie Benz said...

Your blog is introspective and full of wisdom. I too have heart felt concern for teh rural underserved population. I hope to see you soon at graduation and wish you the best in your future work.
Julie Benz