Sunday, March 18, 2012

Blog #2 Spring 2012

Blog #2 Spring, 2012

The last but not the final chapter of the story of service learning….

     As an educated privileged citizen in our society and as a DNP my role in creating a society rooted in equality and justice is to keep myself open and grounded with a sensitivity to the needs of others within my community, locally, nationally and globally.

     I agree (as most nurses would) with the ideas as in Zaccagnini and White (2011) in that I have a responsibility to be caring and kind and authentically present, using creatively to deliver the caring nurturing  process and creating a healing, learning environment.  I would also agree that I should remain conscious of the needs within my community and how I can best help to fill those needs.

     As it is stated in the ICN code of ethics practitioners will “provide care that respects human rights and is sensitive to the values, customs and beliefs of all people” (Zaccagnini & White, p. 343, 2011).  Promoting safe, excellence and courteous care for patients, families and communities, that respects human rights and is sensitive to the patients culture, values and beliefs is an important aspect of the care that DNPs give in their practice.  It is those areas that set the DNP apart from many other health care providers.  The DNP promotes quality and safe care through the use of their evidence-based practice.  An acknowledged part of evidence-based care is the notion that the practitioner must embrace the practice of life-long learning.  These values, beliefs and practices have become engrained in all of us as DNP graduates throughout our educational process.

     Due to the educational process I have received those ideas, beliefs and practices which will help me as a DNP become a leader within my profession.  Because of these ideals I am obligated to give care that is sensitive to the needs of others and to be truly committed to my patients, their families and to my community as well to the world.

     I have always been a responsible, respectful and moral professional but, in the process of becoming a new DNP I have more awareness and have learned to look at the world and at my practice through a different lens.  In that new way of seeing I also understand the responsibility I have to further and continuously educate myself and others around me.  It is not just a matter of “that is what I do for a profession as a practitioner and an educator” but it is now who I am.  Another aspect of who I have become is the realization of the importance of giving back and passing it forward to all I encounter.

     I have learned a great deal about myself through this service learning process in the DNP program at Regis.  I have learned that I am stronger than I thought I was.  I am capable and skilled as a practitioner, educator and have become a leader within my Department I am learning to be a leader within my profession by seeking opportunities to serve and educate others.  I have realized that I care greatly for those in my community as well as in the world and that I can make a difference as long as I try.

     My plans for the future are to first graduate and then celebrate in the occasion.  Then I want to apply all that I have learned and continue to learn throughout my evidence–based practice with my patients, my students, and colleagues.  I want to try to make a difference in all that I do whether professionally or in my private life.  I plan to continue to write, to continue to question and participate in research and to always to give back.  I have been one of the luck and fortunate ones who have taken the opportunity to grow in so many ways and to learn.  I plan never to stop the process of learning and growing and experience all that I can as long as I can.



Zaccagnini, M. and White, K.,  (2011).  The Doctor of Nursing Practice Essentials: a new model       for advanced practice nursing.  Sudbury, Ma:  Jones and Bartlett.

 Thanks for reading
Janet W

   

     .

    


5 comments:

Troy Fletcher said...

Hey Janet!
Great post! I agree it is our responsibility as nurses to be caring and kind and authentically present! It is not surprising that our cohort (an amazing group of nurses) all seem to have this at the heart of their practice as nurses! It is inspiring to read/hear about the experiences from our service learning, capstone projects, and even our family lives! You have put so much of yourself into your profession and now it will be reflected with the letters DNP after your name! That is awesome and again I am proud to be your classmate!

Thanks for the great work,

Troy

Joanna Dominick said...

Hi Janet,
You made some very true and real statements in your post that I can agree with! I liked that you mentioned we should be aware of the needs in our community. I think with this perspective, we will never run out of volunteer activities. I also agree that the DNP degree has given us a new lens for practice. I now feel responsible for advocacy to the underserved since we are all well equipped with the tools and knowledge necessary to improve outcomes. I also agree that education is truely lifelong, this is only the beginning!
Thanks,
Joanna

Ruth K said...

Hello Jan,

Great post! I cannot believe this DNP journey is almost over. I am looking forward to graduation and meeting you and your family. I am sure they are thrilled that you are almost finished. The personal growth I have experienced during the last two years has been tremendous. The service learning hours have helped me reconnect to my community. I now realize how many populations can use our support, expertise, and service. I have been blessed with getting to know both you and Felicia during this time. I too would like to continue to do more research and writing. Your students are fortunate to have you as their teacher and mentor. I will see you at graduation!

Ruth

Felicia P. said...

Hi Jan!

Great posting! You have done a wonderful job of sharing your experiences in service learning and have contributed your knowledge and expertise to such a worthwhile educational endeavor for improving care in a vulnerable population. You are a great role model for your students, peers, and colleagues, and I can't wait to see you at graduation. I feel blessed to call you my friend.


Take care and God Bless!

Felicia

Anonymous said...

Hello Janet

I love the concept of authenticity and appreciate the inclusion within your post. What could be more authentic than seeing someone in need of assistance choosing to act? As I have written in my post, generosity starts with this basic acknowledgment of our shared humanity. To recognize this fact makes the person asking me for help quite human; as I am human.

Best wishes
Susan