NR715B_WitheJa_Service Learning Final Blog
The service learning summer semester has been a part of a longitudinal service commitment at Holbrook on the Hill, a long term care facility. The nursing service education director and I looked at in-service projects for the facility that was needed this summer. They needed an outside person to deliver a 2hour per shift (6 hours total instruction) to all personnel about dementia. The facility wanted the focus to be on nutrition and dementia. The in-service was for all employees no matter what department they worked in. I started with a review of the definition of dementia. From there I discussed dementia and the stages and what to look for in an assessment of dementia related to nutritional needs and then finished with interventions. I started with early stages because dementia is a prevalent disorder within the community and then I talked about nutrition and what to look for in assessments. I gave examples and asked for examples from the floor. I then discussed assessments and interventions to use within the nursing home facility. It was somewhat challenging to try to interest and inform a multi group of individuals that had different skill and knowledge levels. I gave handouts with websites that might interest different level of interest and education, as well as an outline of the slide presentation information. I spent several days in researching and preparing for the presentation. The total service hours for this project was about 20 hours. I usually have students for an audience so it was different having other people at different educational and skill level participating in the presentation.
It is rewarding to work with an ongoing project, a longitudinal service commitment. Last semester I worked with the facility director on simulation ideas and this semester worked with the education of her personnel. Hopefully in the Fall there will be more work with simulation and the advancement of a partnership with the adventure of staff simulation training. I believe that the ability to really get to know this facility and its needs as well getting to know the people and have interactions personally is a useful and rewarding experience. I went from last semester talking to DON and only having input with one person and talking about the staff and facility in relation to simulation. Now I have faces when I think of the staff. Faces, personalities and even an idea of some of the challenges that one faces when trying to implement staff additional training. One of the challenges that they faced is the problem of high turnover. One of the staff educators stated “we just get them trained and the staffing up and people leave”. Another challenge is that many of the workers have high school education or equilivancy. Many of the nurses are LNPs and a few RNs are on the units. RNs are usually working in a supervisor capacity. The DON and staff education positions are BSN and both nurses filling those positions are in a MS program. The staff education position is a new one only filled in the past few months. I believe that the facility sees the importance (with state and federal mandates) to have ongoing education for employees. I think getting people in the leadership positions that value education has been an important step in advancing the facility in better quality of care and helping staff to understand the importance of education, quality care and the connection between the two. This facility has not always had a stellar reprotation for quality care in the past but I think that the leadership that is currently in place is making a difference in the quality of care patients receive. Thus they are getting a stronger, better name within the community. And perhaps in a small way I feel that I am contributing to the growth in training and helping in achieving a better knowledge and skill base within the facility. I believe that in the beginning I was most passionate about the idea of simulation and developing a strong partnership between community agencies and WVWC with the idea of using simulation lab to train and test competencies of staff within the community for agency development and growth. I still feel committed and passionate about simulation and the partnership idea. But now, because of building of a relationship with staff and other employees I am also invested in the partnership to help this particular agency (the staff) grow and reach a better potential through education and simulation. I believe through this experience I am getting to know the agency as a community. This has been a personally rewarding experience in helping others grow.
Future plans will be to continue to develop the simulation partnership and to help with in -service education offerings as much as possible. With the continuation of service over time it is my hope to further develop the relationship with the organization and the workers and all the parties involved will continue to grow, patient care will be enhanced, and all will be empowered.
I look forward to further community engagement in the future semesters.
3 comments:
Hi Jan!
I have enjoyed following your service learning blog this semester. You have done a great job with your educational efforts in long-term care. Through your efforts at staff education regarding dementia and nutrition, the increased awareness of the staff should translate into improved patient care outcomes in the facility.
Take care and God Bless!
Felicia P.
Hello Jan
I firmly believe that relationships are the foundation of change, yet can only be developed through trust. Frequent, accurate, and open communication is necessary to understand differing perspectives. Regular communication allows the exchange of information about each party's preferences, values, and approaches to problems, thereby leading to the development of knowledge-based trust. In turn, trust evolves from social relationships through each contact. Such relationships tend to build reputations and the confidence of the trusting other parties. Thus, frequent, high-quality communication can only increase the level of trust, honest relationships and positive change. All the best to you and yours.
Susan
Janet,
Wonderful post and spoken from the heart. What a rewarding and fullfilling feeling you must have from helping this organization with addressing their areas of need. This is what Service Learning is all about. With the organization's name turning around, your collaboration with the team has been instrumental in making this happen. The time you have spent and given to the organization I am sure is very much appreciated. Continue the great service!
Ruth
Post a Comment