NR715B_WitheJa_service learning _wk8_Blog
June 24, 2011
Reflection of Service Learning
My service learning experience is with the same agency as last semester. I am working with a nursing home Holbrook on the Hill. This agency is a private small nursing home in a small town in rural West Virginia. This facility is home to many patients that do not have any place to go. A large portion of this population is funded by Medicaid. And most of this population lived in or near poverty most of their lives. Last semester I worked with the Director of Nursing giving information about simulation and how it could be helpful in providing competency training and testing for her aides and nurses. We hope to have the first simulation experience late this summer. The process is being planned throughout the summer.
Currently they need assistance with in-service training for their faculty. I will be doing several in-service training sessions on topics of their choosing for their nurses and aides throughout the summer.
This facility is an underserved organization with a vulnerable population. This agency has had difficulty in the past with accreditation visits. In training staff and in-service presentations I will be helping with QI, and helping staff hopefully gain so insights about patients’ behavior and how to best handle patients in various situations. I hope that the staff will grow through these interactions.
In this situation my DNP role is as an educator and facilitator, helping to promote health and wellness for this underserved population of nurses and aides. They will be encouraged to think about their patients differently through our interactions in this in-service process. My first in-service will address how to promote nutrition with patients with dementia. Many of the patients in this facility have dementia and many are poorly nourished. I hope to help the staff see these patients through new eyes not to see them as “difficult patients”. Education always has the potential to open doors for people. A new or greater understanding of their patients’ illness and behaviors will hopefully facilitate better and kinder patient care.
I wish everyone best wishes on their service experiences this semester.
Janet W
4 comments:
Janet,
I love hearing about your service learning experience. As you know the elderly population are near and dear to my heart since that is what drew me into nursing. You are doing such a service to your community by helping the nursing home with their training. I will be interested to hear how your first simulation class goes. That is a wonderful idea about a nutrition class. It will be beneficial for both the staff and their patients. I hope you and your family are having a great summer!
Ruth
Hi Jan!
Thanks for sharing your service learning story! Your compassion and dedication to the care of the elderly population is wonderful. Your nursing and education backgrounds are ideally suited to the service learning activities that you are planning this summer. I am looking forward to hearing more in the future.
Take care and God Bless!
Felicia
Thanks Felicia and Ruth for visiting this site and leaving such supportive messages. Hope you are enjoying your summer too.
Thanks
Janet W.
Hi Janet -
Your last paragraph really said it all and I wish you the best as you will accomplish your goals. MG
Post a Comment